Sunday, August 16, 2009

My last night in Guatemala






















I'm writing this from the Funky Monkey Internet Cafe' in Antigua. My two new friends, Anna and Jess, just left a few hours ago. Tomorrow morning I leave for the airport at 9 AM. I'm feeingl sad right now. My journey is coming to an end so quickly and I feel as if my time here was far too short. There was so much more I could have done to contribute and I don't feel as if I did enough to make a difference in anyone's life. Actually, I feel as if those I came in contact with touched my life and inspired me more than I did them. But maybe that's the way it was supposed to be.

I'm already missing the kids at the shelter right now, especially sweet little Blanca, Dulce and Oliver. The kids gave me a really beautiful good-bye card, sang a song to me and I high-fived all of them.

One of the last activities we did with them was to have them trace and color in outlines of their hands for the United Planet lavaderia. I was very happy that we were able to make that happen (Rebecca, try to remember to send me a photo of them when they´re up on the wall!)

Antigua is a really nice little town. It's also full of tourists, so it's a very different vibe from Xela. It's actually a little too touristy for me, personally, but it was also a lot easier to buy all the gifts I needed to buy for people from my trip. I found an obsidian pendant of my Mayan horoscope deity, K'at (See earlier blog post for explanation!)

I will write more when I get home on Tuesday, but I do want to thank all the wonderful people I met and who went out of their way to make sure I was safe, happy and well fed (Marlo!)
I am also incredibly grateful to all the people who translated for me so I could survive as a Vegan in Guatemala!!

I'm going to post the rest of my photos now.

I wish everyone health happiness and to all the volunteers I worked with, less carbs and more proteins! LOL!

XO

v

No comments:

Post a Comment